Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Uniform






(all images taken from theuniformproject.com)

What a brilliant and tough idea to execute: to wear one piece of garment for 365 days. Are you kidding me?? Fanstastic!

I know I have the hardest time wearing one thing over and over more than a few times, so kudos to this little lady.

Love Sheena Matheiken's quirky style enough, but her inventive take on the little black dress is way impressive. The simple black dress can be worn either forward or backward, which gives the dress even more versatility.

Mission statement:

"Every day I will reinvent the dress with layers, accessories and all kinds of accouterments, the majority of which will be vintage, hand-made, or hand-me-down goodies. Think of it as wearing a daily uniform with enough creative license to make it look like I just crawled out of the Marquis de Sade's boudoir."

The Uniform Project is also a year-long fundraiser for the Akanksha Foundation, a grassroots movement that is revolutionizing education in India. At the end of the year, all contributions will go toward Akanksha’s School Project to fund uniforms and other educational expenses for children living in Indian slums.

R A D.

Maybe there is hope after all for my shabby neglected things in the closet. Yay!

2 comments:

  1. this is such an intriguing project! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is amazing.
    I was always the type of person that has this thing that I could never wear the same outfit twice, as in I could never wear the same jeans with the same top and same shoes... It's a weird phobia, but my living situation has changed, I am have been greatly humbled these past couple of months and work at a fast food spot. I live in my uniform, which at least consist of these stretchy black skinny ankle ciggarette jeans from U.O that I love and really wear for atleast a couple of hours a day every other day.
    I am soo digging this. You don't need to wear the same outfit twice but still look refreshingly new. who said you can't have your cake and eat it tooo. DOPE!

    ReplyDelete